Experienced And Honest Attorneys

Supporting You Through Changes To Custody Arrangements

The child custody and support agreement you made when you got divorced may not be what you and your family need as your lives move forward. Making changes (or modifications) to child custody or child support can be a complex process.

At Ward & Myers LLP, we understand that circumstances can change after a divorce or separation, requiring modifications or changes to existing child custody arrangements. Our dedicated family law attorneys in Midland are here to guide you through the process of modifying custody orders in Texas. With our assertive yet compassionate approach, we focus on efficiently navigating custody modifications to ensure the best interests of your children are met.

Understanding Custody Modifications And Changes

Modifying a custody arrangement or seeking changes is a common situation for many parents. Here’s what you need to know:

When To Seek Custody Modifications

There are various circumstances that may warrant a custody modification, such as:

  • Relocation: If one parent needs to move due to job opportunities or other significant life changes, a modification may be necessary to accommodate the new circumstances.
  • Changes in schedules: If the existing custody arrangement no longer aligns with the parents’ or children’s schedules, a modification can address the new scheduling needs.
  • Parental fitness concerns: If one parent demonstrates behavior or actions that raise concerns about their ability to provide a safe and nurturing environment for the children, a modification may be appropriate.
  • Child’s best interests: If the current custody arrangement no longer serves the best interests of the children, such as a significant change in the children’s needs or preferences, a modification can help address those concerns.

We can help you examine your needs and goals and determine what actions you need to take for the next step.

The Modification Process

Modifying a custody arrangement typically involves the following steps:

  • Petition: The parent seeking the modification files a petition with the court, outlining the reasons for the requested change.
  • Court evaluation: The court evaluates the proposed modification and considers factors such as the children’s well-being, parental fitness, and the ability of both parents to cooperate and make decisions in the children’s best interests.
  • Mediation or court hearing: Depending on the circumstances, mediation or a court hearing may be necessary to resolve any disputes and reach a modified custody agreement.
  • Court approval: If the court determines that a modification is in the children’s best interests, it will issue a modified custody order, which both parents must adhere to.

Our attorneys can ensure that you do not miss any of these critical steps as you move through the process of making changes to a child custody or support agreement.

Seek Skilled Representation

At Ward & Myers LLP, our experienced family law attorneys have extensive knowledge and expertise in custody modifications and changes. We understand the importance of protecting your children’s well-being and will advocate for your rights throughout the process. We will gather evidence, present compelling arguments, and guide you through negotiations or court proceedings to achieve a favorable outcome.

Modifying a custody arrangement can be emotionally challenging for parents and children. Our compassionate team is here to provide the support and guidance you need during this sensitive time. We will listen to your concerns, answer your questions, and provide honest and practical advice to help you make informed decisions.

Secure The Best Interests Of Your Children

If you believe that a modification or change to your existing custody arrangement is necessary, don’t hesitate to seek the guidance of our skilled family law attorneys at Ward & Myers LLP. Contact us today at 432-315-0335, or use our online form to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward securing the best interests of your children.